Total Topics: 50
Most Online Today: 1
Most Online Ever: 26
(January 27, 2016, 10:23:33 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1
Total: 1

Author Topic: St. Nicholas (December 5-6) versus Santa Claus (December 24)  (Read 688 times)

Robert

• Administrator
St. Nicholas (December 5-6) versus Santa Claus (December 24)
« on: December 09, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
Several countries celebrate St. Nicholas on the evening of December 5 or on December 6. In some countries (specially Netherlands) this is combined with giving gifts. In other countries, gifts are not included.

Especially in the USA, this St. Nicholas celebration has shifted to December 24-25 and is combined with the traditional Christmas celebration (Santa Claus).   

A third variation happens in the Czech Republic, where St. Nicholas is celebrated, but without gifts. The gifts come on Christmas, but in a ritual that has several aspects of the original St Nicholas celebrations.

The poll is trying to figure out who celebrates what. The thread and comments will try to figure out what people actually do and from which continent they are.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:23:34 AM by Robert »

Robert

• Administrator
Re: St. Nicholas (December 5-6) versus Santa Claus (December 24)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
As administrator I voted for the Dutch variant: both but with presents only at Sinterklaas.
Under my test-identity I voted for the Czech variant: both but with presents only at Christmas. 

Now its up to you to show what's happening in your part of the world.